[CAUT] Steinway school info (Steinway tech...)

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon May 5 14:54:46 MDT 2008

Alan, List,

At "Snow College", an All Steinway School in Utah, they thought my bid for servicing was too high, so they were going to get a local hack. (My opinion) I told the Steinway dealer and he called NY. Steinway then threatened to revoke the A.S. School status and void all the warrantees unless a suitable "Steinway Technician" did the work. (At least that's what I was told.) I got the job at the price I asked.

What is a "Steinway Technician"? It seems it's whoever the dealership and/or Steinway say it is. (I'm still not really sure.) At the time I had two of the Steinway Academy classes so they chose me over the other guy.

What I was told later is that a technician should at least have the 1st "Comprehensive Class" in New York or Oberlin, along with the OK of the instructor and the S&S dealer.

Jim Busby