[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu May 1 14:11:46 MDT 2008

> Ron would better answer this, but what I did was take it as
> close as I could w/o touching. (Yes, I did leave a bit of
> the cantilever. Ron is braver at plate alterations than I.)

Ah what's a little iron dust among friends? Tracking the
graphite into the house, however, is another story. I've never
moved one of these on the original board, so I can't say just
where the cantilever foot sits in relation to the plate. You
can make a little more room by applying your favorite grinding
device and tightening the radius in that corner of the plate
where the low bass wants to be. No more than necessary, and no
angled corner.

> Also, make the strings with German loops and this gives you
> an effectively more flexible backscale.

Or make the new bass bridge about 5mm taller overall than it
was and put in vertical hitches with the usual loops.

Ron N