[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Thu May 1 16:14:41 MDT 2008

Look at the photo below:

You cut the bass bridge body off of the cantilever. Flush. Sand the cantilever
smooth and cap it with a piece of maple veneer of the thickness of the saw kerf
(to keep the original o/a height of the bridge assembly).

Move the bridge body forward to the front edge of the cantilever, keeping the
alignment of the bridge the same as the original. You will be reducing the
length of all of the strings by the same amount. In this case it will be by
about 25 mm.

Through roughly the upper half of the bass scale there will no longer be any
cantilever overhang. There will be some overhang through part of the lower half.
Can't be helped.

You'll need to grind away a bit of that triangular-shaped plate filler just
forward of the bass end of the bridge body. No harm done, just do it.

Don't worry that the end of the bridge seems to hang out there. You can glue a
filler block on the end of the cantilever if it makes you feel better.

Drill the bridge pin holes deeper if need be. Pin as usual.

Someone will have to do a new bass string scale. Make sure whoever does it does
it right; there is a lot of weirdness going on with string scales these days.
Use European loops on the strings.

You'll end up with better pitch definition; there will be more energy in the
fundamental. The overall all bass sound will be a bit cleaner and clearer. No,
you won't loose any power.

Del

You