[CAUT] Bass bridge, string scale, cantilevered bridge, tone

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu May 1 13:00:12 MDT 2008

Hi Dave,

Ron would better answer this, but what I did was take it as close as I could w/o touching. (Yes, I did leave a bit of the cantilever. Ron is braver at plate alterations than I.) Also, make the strings with German loops and this gives you an effectively more flexible backscale. The conventional "French" loops are more rigid, and the German loops are equal to about 20mm more length, IMO. In fact, if you do nothing more than change to German loops you will see a noticeable difference in the bass! Vince and I are nearly always changing to German loops now on most everything. With the last 3 Ms I left the bridge alone, switched to German loops, and was pleased.

Jim