[CAUT] piano moving stuff

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 25 20:09:36 MDT 2008

I   was on the moving crew at the Chicago convention at which one of the
crew was an adamant supporter of moving on the lyre. "Never had a
problem"........................   So he was in charge of the move of
the M&H and we watched while the lyre simply disintegrated under the
weight  of the piano.  I've done a few lyre moves myself, but there's a
trick i use. A "chinning bar" which screws out to fit into a doorway can
be wedged in between the lyre and the treble leg, thus putting almost
all the stress on the bar rather than the lyre.  However, I think the
M&H would still have collapsed.  It was a fragile lyre for a very heavy
piano.
les bartlett
houston