[CAUT] Which S&S replacement action parts?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jun 25 18:41:13 MDT 2008

On Jun 25, 2008, at 4:17 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> I may be mistaken, but I don't think it's the price of the parts,
> it's the pinning/flange cloth controversy.  Uh oh, I mentioned
> it...  :-o
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT
> near Peoria, Illinois

Hi Barbara,
	This is ground we've been over several times, but maybe it bears
revisiting a bit. It seems to me to be the question of friction versus
firmness. I spent a good number of years in pursuit of friction, a
fairly high standard applied evenly throughout (shanks in particular),
thinking that gave me a feel and a sound that was improved. I'm not
sure exactly how much I was influenced by my mindset, thinking I would
have the better action feel and more focused sound, and so because of
my expectation I found it.
	In recent years, arguments by Don Mannino in particular, and various
others as well, have led me to the belief that firmness is what
matters, and that friction can be very low and the action made to work
well and feel responsive. Partly that is just adapting to the reality
of modern Steinway parts - my first reaction was to try to get the
friction up. Didn't work. Didn't last. That teflon impregnation does
its job.
	In the end, I have come to the conclusion that firmness of pinning is
what matters for tone, and that I can regulate adequately to whatever
friction there is. That's where my head is at the moment. Partly it is
just a matter of "going with the flow" (working with the parts I
have), but I certainly haven't found (in my alter-ego as pianist) that
I notice any particular difference in feel between, say, Renner parts
pinned firmly (4 - 6 gm)  and Steinway parts pinned like Steinway
parts (firm, but in the 0-2 gm range). I feel pretty certain that lack
of wobble in the bushing is the key to the sound component, and felt
impregnated with a solidifying teflon product does that quite well.
BTW, it is quite possible to pin with high friction and low firmness
(same goes for key bushings).
	I'm sure there are others with opposite opinions of various natures.
Which is just fine with me.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico