[CAUT] Which S&S replacement action parts?

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 25 19:47:40 MDT 2008

Hey Fred,

I haven't worked on many newer Steinways with the low friction but firm
cloth.  Actually, I have strips of it and I haven't figured out yet how
anyone has determined that it is so firm.  It's nothing like the old S&S
cloth, of which I still have a strip hanging around and have never had a
problem
working with. I had some experience with the new parts a few years ago,
which left me rather un-impressed.  But! I'm a better technician now, so
maybe my experience will be different with the next one.  I did have an
interesting conversation in Anaheim about balancier pinning/friction with a
rather
well-known tech who deals a lot with Steinways, but I won't mention his name
because I don't have his permission (even if he was speaking with a member
of
the press...<g>).

Mostly, I was raving about the last 3 pianos I repinned and regulated
this spring/summer, a 25-year old Kawai GE something, and two Steinway Bs
(one with Renner USA parts and one with factory Steinway/Renner parts)
where I bumped up the (balancier) pinning to 9-10 grams. (The pianists all
raved,
but then, they usually do, don't they?)  He agreed getting up to that spec
was
ideal, but he was reluctant to push new Steinway parts that far and was
settling
for 3-4 grams at that center because he was afraid of stressing the bird's
eye
and/or having to go up to telephone pole sized center pins.  He said that
3-4
grams was better than none--especially for setting the repetition spring.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with the balancier
pinning.  Does that  friction also drop after re-pinning, or maybe the
question is how fast and/or far does it drop?

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois