[CAUT] Let-off dowel removal - and hammers, and backchecks

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 08:21:06 MDT 2008

Greetings, Colleagues -

The few times I've needed to replace let-off dowels I've simply split the
old ones from the wires using an 'anvil'
type garden pruner.  These are available from any hardware store for  about
$15.  In the piano shop they can serve for decades.  Below is a  link to the
Fiskars model sold by Lowe's; other brands may be equivalent.   (I also use
these to split hammer tails to enable removing them from  shanks, same for
backchecks to remove them from wires - only when  the old parts are to be discarded,
of course.)  In all these  cases I apply the tool "end-on" to the part and
split the wood with the  grain.

I would not ordinarily replace the wires.  (That's extra work.   And in the
case of backcheck wires, having the bends already there is a  help; also, the
wire on old Steinway backchecks is nicer than the  newer ones!)  If the let-off
dowel mounting rail is separable from the  hammer rail, it is a very quick
project while the rail is held in a bench  vise.  Otherwise, as others have
said, easiest to do the let-off dowel  replacement while the shanks are off the
action.

BTW, although I've not done this kind of work in years, splitting  works just
as well on upright capstan dowels.

_Click  here: Power-Lever Anvil Hand Pruner_
(http://lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=77178-1078-91106980&lpage=none)

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com