[CAUT] Parts Mark up

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 12:18:26 MDT 2008

An ethical dilemma, or conflict of interest, occurs only when the tech is an employee and a vendor.? Most government institutions (e.g., state universities) and larger private institutions have regulations prohibiting or limiting this duality.? In such cases the tech should engage in supplying such parts only under a separate contract or purchase order within the applicable rules of the institution.? If in doubt about this, seek guidance from the purchasing department.

~ Tom McNeil ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

When?I was at UA, my job was to?tune the pianos at the SOM, period.?I was told specifically that all the other pianos on campus should be treated as private customers. This included the President's Mansion, the school's convention centers, the dorms,?radio station, etc.?

Was this an unusual situation, or is the common practice?

Willem Blees
Hawaii.?

?

?