[CAUT] Compare, contrast, critique, anyone?

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 20:30:45 MDT 2008

Decades ago Rachmaninov recorded his arrangement of Flight of the
Bumblebee on a reproducer. Years ago Wayne Stahnke converted the roll
and others for a Telarc CD, Window in Time. As a part of promoting the
project, the Flight of the Bumblebee was distributed on the internet
as a Disklavier file. The files I sent are made from this Rachmaninov
performance; the tempo is correct, or at least agrees with the CD. The
CD track is at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00150I7HM/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk3

So, the 3 MP3 files that I sent are all of the same Rachmaninov
performance, each playing a different software piano.

bbgs  =  Garritan Steinway Virtual Grand, samples of a Steinway D
prepared with the cooperation and active participation of Steinway.

bbig  =  Synthogy Ivory Italian Grand, samples of a 10' Fazioli

bbpt  =  Modartt Pianoteq 2, modeled piano, no real piano involved

These software pianos, in the hands of real recording engineers, are
the state of the art in digital pianos.

Those who are accustomed to listening to software pianos can usually
spot them when they hear them. There is something not quite right when
a software piano tries to play the sound of an already-vibrating
string being struck again by a hammer; this is quite noticeable in
fast repeated notes, and IMO this is why this performance might not
have sounded "real".

That said, these software pianos are quite good and are very playable
in that they respond well to dynamics.

As is clear from everyone's comments, these software pianos also have
difficulty maintaining correct timbre and balance through the scale
and through the dynamic range. I thought that the high treble of the
Pianoteq would be a dead giveaway -- not a real piano. I guess even
pianos have a relatively large range of timbres that may be recognized
as _piano_.

Thanks everyone. Listen again and say what you think _now_, if you like.

Kent