[CAUT] finder's fees?

Chris Solliday csolliday at rcn.com
Wed Jun 4 08:47:18 MDT 2008

I don't believe accepting a bird dog referral fee would have precluded Kent
being offered any of this other work. It really amounts to how comfortable
you are with compartmentalizing. Personally I have no problem receiving my
5% referral fee which would otherwise go to some previous buyer or music
teacher or salesmen when I know the education I have provided has benefitted
both parties. In essence this fee comes from both parties. As Eric W has
said I then have no problem working for the buyer in additon to that by the
hour or the job. I am careful, however, to not help the seller after I begin
working for the buyer. My bird dog fee is simply for making the connection,
anything else would be in conflict or in addition to that. I could at that
point also choose to help the seller by maybe improving that piano and
encouraging the buyer that it will be great after that work is done. At that
point I wouldn't feel comfortable working for the buyer within the sale. Hey
that's where I draw the line.
In most recent years I made a fat 5 figures from referrals. So to me it's
either my new shop tool or the saleman's boat payment or the music teacher
food on the table. That's a no brainer here.
Chris Solliday rpt