[CAUT] Position Announcement, U. of Northern Colorado

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 30 17:00:52 MDT 2008

Hi Fred,
Comments interspersed.

Fred Sturm wrote:
> I guess I'll agree the pay isn't exciting

No.  It's degrading and embarrassing.  I would wager that one could find a
job in Colorado pushing a broom for more than that.  Not that sweeping
floors is degrading and embarrasing, but the work expected of a CAUT does
require a bit more training and experience.

>, but I will argue that the  workload is quite reasonable. 85 pianos per
>FTE is quite low in the  real world.

I have a real issue with this "real world" concept.  What is common practice
in the "real world" and what is actually required to get the job done
correctly are two completely different realities.  I never did understand
why we compromised our standards with the recalculation of the Guidelines
formula for the simple purpose of reflecting the gross deficiencies of real
world common practice.  But here's some "real world" where they're not
trying to use deficiency as the standard:  The University of Georgia employs
two full time positions and a half time contract tuner for 115 pianos and
those techs will tell you that isn't enough to get the job done right.
Julliard has something like one tech per 40 pianos if the ratio is still in
line with what was described in the newspaper article about 10 years ago
(and I've heard the condition of the pianos is not good).  I don't know the
ratio at Eastman, but don't they have 5 full time techs?  I've heard the
pianos there are undermaintained as well.

Steinway recommends no more than 40 grand pianos for the first piano
technician and another full time tech for the next 85 and that is not taking
climate problems into account.  After my institutional experience, I'd say
the guy with the 40 grands would have more than he could handle by himself
(we had 52, I think).  Think about it.  If hammers last an average of 10
years in an institution, he's replacing 4 sets of hammers a year, and about
half as many full actions as just hammers.  He should probably be
restringing at least one a year.  He should probably be filing, fitting,
voicing and regulating 20 a year.  He's spending nearly all his time
rebuilding and refurbishing.  When will he have time for tuning, voicing,
replacing broken strings and concert prep of the other 39 not currently in
his shop?  Or, vice versa, he's spending all his time tuning, voicing,
replacing broken strings and concert prep and no rebuilding or refurbishing
is getting done.

When there is only one technician at an institution, regardless of how many
pianos there are, he can only accomplish about 1/2 to 2/3 of the amount of
work that he himself could get to if there were a second full time
technician.  We don't realize how much that second person frees us up to get
done what we started on.  And just having someone there to work with makes
work more productive, too.

 Average is probably 100 - 160 (some higher, some lower,
> but probably most caut situations are in that range). I handle 80  pianos
> at half time, and I think I do an adequate job of maintaining  standards.
> Could be better, but could be (and has been) far, far worse.

I suppose one would have to come to some definition of what is an acceptable
standard.  But if your inventory behaves anywhere close to the way mine did,
I would argue that it would be absolutely impossible to maintain 80
institutional pianos in 20 hours a week.  Maybe we have different standards,
but my faculty was asking more than was reasonably possible from one person,
so that's kind of what I base my standards on.  One of the local techs here
has been contracting work at Carolina since I resigned and he says they
really need 3 techs for the 125 pianos:  two tuning and one in the shop all
the time.  He told me that since I left, the head of the piano faculty told
him, "we've recently discovered that there may be too much work here for one
technician."

Aw.  You don't say.  I had to quit for you to figure that out?

My line of thinking has evolved to the point where just putting a number of
techs to pianos isn't the most accurate way to reflect the needs of an
inventory.  Size of student body and faculty, number of official performing
ensembles, number of performances and performance venues, and event hostings
all need to be in there to reflect the overall activity level of the
institution, which is a component we really can't put a numerical value on.
Overall institutional activity level has a huge impact on availability of
access for maintenance.  It also probably means the technician is spending a
lot of time on rehearsal and performance pianos which takes away time from
other instruments.  And if he's expected to be "on-call" more often because
of activity level.....

> About the "on-call" thing, that is the nature of the beast. A caut  job is
> not 9 to 5 and never will be, any more than the job of a  symphony or jazz
> musician.

I vehemently disagree.  We can have a say in that.  Much of the on-call
thing is pure wannabe silliness, imposed much of the time by the types who
wield Barbie tuners, and our being willing to be Odie to a faculty of 50
Garfields just further feeds the "beast".  We should rather be seeing
ourselves as the Garfield with 50 Odie faculty members.  And we can.  We're
the one in demand.  They're a dime a dozen!  We should hold leverage by the
sheer rarity of the possession of our skill!  But we're the ones flushing
that leverage down the toilet!

This is college for heaven's sake, not Carnegie Hall or Lincoln Center.  As
a general rule, audiences don't buy $100+ tickets to attend performances
they expect to be perfect, where piano technicians can charge upwards of
$100 an hour to sit around back stage catching up on reading pianotech
emails on his laptop if he wants to.  No, its a university setting and the
time expectations the of the piano technician should be "commensurate with
salary".  Period.  CAUTs are already grossly undercompensated for their
skill level alone.  Further disrespecting our lives and the lives of our
families by expecting us to be on call for after hours performances 7 days a
week is an extra kick in the face.  But it is completely up to US to have a
say in that.  As long as we agree to be doormats, that is what we will be.
I resigned because I was unwilling to be a doormat.

But let's say it is the nature of the beast. I will still argue to my death
that a piano technician who's time is worth $60+ an hour as a 9 to 5
self-employed technician should not consider a position where the value of
what should be his leisure time is so disrespected for less than $20 an
hour.  That is simply disrespect for our own private lives and more
importantly, it is disrespectful to others in our profession.  We are not
symphony or jazz musicians.  We are service technicians and if we are
expected to be on call for every whim of each faculty or guest artist, IT
OUGHT TO BE REFLECTED IN THE SALARY, AND IT OUGHT TO BE COMPARABLE TO THE
EARNINGS OF OUR ESTEEMED PEERS IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR WHO PERFORM AN
EQUIVALENT SERVICE FOR PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCES.  Besides, being on call
for performances is time out of the technician's schedule that should be
being spent on other work that needs to be done.  It is inefficient use of
the technician's time.  I never attended more than 4 or 5 performances here
in 9 1/2 years.  Those were by my own choice (two were by my student
assistant) and I was never once needed to have been there.  The technician
who tunes for the larger professional performance venues here doesn't stick
around either unless he is well compensated for his time (i.e., he charges
more to stay for a concert than a FT CAUT grosses in a full day, so there's
perspective), and it is extremely rare for him to be asked to be there.

We make much more out of this being on call than it is worth.  If a string
breaks, roll another piano out.  That is much less distracting than a
technician coming in to replace a string.  Of course, they all know how to
pull the string up and out of the way.  They do it on all the other pianos
despite our pleas not to.  If the piano goes out of tune during the
performance, that is the fault of either the condition of the piano or the
changing climate of the venue.  But don't disrespect the technician's
personal life at a take home rate of less than $15 an hour by making him
hang around until after 9pm any night you get the itch to.  He or she may
have to incur extra costs for child care, or miss out on a daughter's dance
recital or a son's band concert or important ball game.  That's just being
completely inconsiderate of someone who could otherwise be making $350-500 a
day and be done by 5 pm most all of the time, and may choose to work
weekends or not to.

Look, the point is, we're selling our own selves short by agreeing to that
kind of commitment for such low pay.  It's our own fault.  If it really is
the "nature of the beast", then it is by our own creation.  But it does not
have to be.  "Spirit of cooperation" is one thing, but servanthood is
something completely different.  As long as we have a servant mentality, we
will always be treated as servants.

 I'm guessing Northern Colorado doesn't have
> an enormous guest artist load.
> My biggest quarrel would be with the job classification:
> "Job Title: PIANO TUNER-TECHNICIAN - STRUCTURAL TRADES II"
> Structural trades? really? And that is where the salary range is
> determined.

I've seen it as Structural Trades at other institutions, too.  Which goes
along with my point in other discussions that no amount of credentialing or
continuing education will ever make a difference until the folks in Human
Resources figure out what to do with us.  When I came here, it was Skilled
Trades V.  Yes, plumbers, carpenters and HVAC techs, all of whom go home at
4:30 and don't show their face from Friday at 4:30 until Monday at 8 am.
That is the highest skilled trades class and those other trades in the class
answer directly to someone in an Engineering classification, and with
continuing ed, can advance to an engineering class position (there is no
engineering classification appropriate for piano tuning).  A
reclassification effort 4 years ago got it moved to Program Coordinator I
(which was the same salary band as Skilled Trades V, so there was no salary
reclassification), and after my resignation they got it reclassified to
Program Coordinator II, which is one salary band higher.  But that's it.
There's no Program Coordinator III and there's no place else to go in the
classified employee structure.

It's bad when you have to quit to get the next guy a raise, isn't it?

Cordially,
Jeff Tanner