[CAUT] Position Announcement, U. of Northern Colorado

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jul 30 21:59:10 MDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> Comments interspersed

Hi Jeff,
	I haven't the faintest wish to argue with you. We can agree to
disagree. You are obviously very passionate about your opinions, and
have finally taken the logical step of leaving employment in the caut
world. I wish you all the best in that endeavor.
	My opinions as stated stand. I don't necessarily disagree with your
assertions. However, I do live in a very real world, as do the faculty
members and students I serve. If we had to go by some ideal standard
or fold up shop, we would have to fold up shop. We have limited
resources, and have no choice but to live within them, and to make the
best we can with what we have. In spite of less than ideal conditions,
my institution is capable of producing excellent musicians. The piano
students have a much better chance of success (based on the
instruments they have at their disposal to practice and perform on)
than they did 30 years ago, when I was a student at the same
institution. I am quite happy with what I have been able to accomplish
in my 22 years there. My faculty is very happy with what we have been
able to accomplish together. We continue to aspire to do better.
	As for "justice," and what people are worth, and whether this or that
is fair, well, for my part I don't really care very much about those
issues. That's not the sort of thing that motivates me or interests
me. You are more than welcome to carry that torch. I am certainly in
agreement that nobody should be treated as a doormat, and that we
should seek what each of us believe to be adequate compensation for
our work. I make progress in that direction by treating my faculty and
administration with respect, and they return the favor.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu