[CAUT] Sostenuto mounting (was Re: Forum format)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 18 17:01:05 MDT 2008

On Jul 18, 2008, at 4:10 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Thanks Fred, I had seen the 1916 patent, but not the 1875, called an
> improvement in piano attachments. <G> But the text describes it as a
> cord, wire, or strip, so maybe it doesn't count.

Well,  the strip is a "strip of flexible or rigid material." I think
that covers the sostenuto rod of current grands, as well as the
fixture with a piece of cord Steinway used on uprights. The term used
is "rock shaft" (I guess this means a shaft that "rocks" or pivots
through a short rotation). He describes in some detail the method of
mounting the rock shaft to the bellyrail by means of a bracket which
enables the position of the rock shaft to be "adjusted with great
nicety." I think it does, indeed, count, and was the obvious forebear
of all the various sostenuto devices in use today.
	It is quite wonderful to be able to see the drawings and read the
texts of all these patents from the comfort of one's own home (or
classroom with WIFI, as has been the case for me today, when taking a
short breather).
	Now as for when and why the decision was made to change to an action
bracket mounted system, that remains shrouded in mystery. Perhaps Bill
Shull can help us with the when. I think one can assume that those who
made the decision thought it would be an improvement for some reason,
but didn't find it worthwhile to patent the change.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu