[CAUT] Forum format (was Re: Requirements for contributing/posting; RPT status

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jul 15 10:57:19 MDT 2008

On Jul 15, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Alan McCoy wrote:

> What I keep coming back to though is
> the idea of an online database, or repository, of collective
> knowledge and
> wisdom, a wikipedia of piano technology, if you will. I think I have
> been
> trying to shoehorn the listserve format into something it is not
> designed to
> do. The two vehicles together would be more useful than either alone.

	I think that the two concepts could work well together - one being a
discussion group, the other an organized archive. With a skeleton
archive wiki (or whatever) in place, people could be encouraged to
post to it: "That was well put. Why don't you post it to the wiki?"
And over time, it might become habit: have something to say that seems
worth saving? Post it to both. Or write a more permanent version to
post to the archive.
	I certainly share your frustration with the archives as currently
constituted. I find searching it an exercise in futility as often as
not. There is some great stuff in it, but hard to ferret out.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu