[CAUT] Forum format (was Re: Requirements for contributing/posting; RPT status

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jul 15 08:27:05 MDT 2008

Hi Alan,
	Is there an example of such an animal out there that you have been
subscribed to and have found useful and amenable? As opposed to the
"bulletin board" or blog formats where there is an initial
"item" (could be an article, a product, whatever) and then a bunch of
comments posted (which could be sent automatically to everyone who is
involved). [With that kind of format (ie, on a web page with comments
posted below something or other), I find that I am only interested in
wading through if there has been, like on Amazon, a way for readers to
say "this was useful," which makes it possible to "skip the crap"
without wading through pages of posts.]
	Personally, I have my doubts that there would be enough interest in
such a complex means of communication: You have to search for an
appropriate thread before asking a question or posting an idea. What
if nobody is "there" (nobody happens to be subscribed to that topic,
or nobody you want to communicate with)? You start a new topic. How
long before somebody else notices? somebody responds? I guess it is a
good way of creating an organized archives, but I'm not so sure it
works with "real people in real time." Maybe you have seen an example
in real life that functions well, and can provide some testimony.
	I agree with Ron that an open forum like this (caut) means that I am
likely to find things I didn't think I'd be interested in, things I
would be unlikely to "subscribe to" as a topic, and discover that
indeed I AM interested.
	And, frankly, the psychology of an open conversation among
colleagues, even if much is just chatter, is more appealing to me.
There is a sense of connectedness, which I have found psychologically
very important over the years in this isolated and isolating profession.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu