[CAUT] Requirements for contributing/posting; RPT status

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Mon Jul 14 19:31:22 MDT 2008

 Well Ron there's nothing really limiting by using a forum structure for the
conversation instead of a list server. The conversation would still exist in
un-digested form. People would choose to reply to a thread or begin a new
one, or not read it at all. The system would not in any way limit what you
see or what you say. You choose what you want to pay attention to, or not,
by subscribing to whatever you want to subscribe to, or not. The
organization of the threads, the conversation, is neither in your control ,
nor not in your control. The organization of the conversation reflects the
sensibilities of all who use it, and changes as the community of users see
fit, dynamically and ongoing.

I apologize for misunderstanding you, BTW. When you said, "Kind of like
life. In my experience, organization is possible only when you have all the
information already. " I thought when you said this that you meant that
organization is not possible unless you have all the information already.

Well it is moot anyway, because I'm certainly not going to push real hard
for a change to a forum, and no one else is either

Of course having two lists such as we do has its own limitations.

Alan