[CAUT] Requirements for contributing/posting; RPT status

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 14 17:53:04 MDT 2008

> Seems we've had this conversation before.

We have indeed. <G>

> Comprehensive organization is possible only when you have all the
> information already. But of course no one has all the information, so is all
> organization impossible?

Well, besides going instantly to the binary absurdity, you're
arguing against a point I didn't try to make.

Quit that.

>If you organize in a static, linear way, then yeah,
> it's lossy. Rebuilding a piano is, in part, an organizational endeavor. So
> do you not rebuild because you don't have all the info?

Again, the binary absurdity. When you realize the futility of
trying to breathe all the air, do you not breathe at all? Of
course it's an organizational endeavor, subject to and pretty
much guaranteed week to week, day to day, and minute to minute
revision. It's a dynamic process, like breathing, as is
reading the list(s) and gleaning what we find valuable from
them. I, for one, don't want things pre-digested either by
someone else, or by a system that limits what I get to see and
choose from. Yes, I am well aware that already happens
everywhere, but I prefer processing what I still can of what I
still care about, for myself.

> Of course you are right in that when you are on the edge of your
> knowledgebase and pushing forward into new territory, the learning happens
> fast and furious (and some mistakes too). It's what keeps me interested. But
> I'm constantly trying to organize that new information so when I tread the
> path again I may not stumble as much. No doubt, I also will not take the
> exact same path again, based on the experience I've had.

Exactly, which means you need all the data possible, right?
And we're always at the edge of our knowledge base, whether we
realize it or not, but the more the diversity of input is
limited either by choice or circumstance, the less likely we
are to recognize this.

> If you organize (and you do if you are human), and cast that organization in
> stone, then yep, the organization gets in the way. But I don't for a minute
> think that organization of data is inherently lossy.

No, not inherently, just subject (or at least vulnerable) to
victimization by the chosen methods.

> It's not so much your knowledge (or your belief, or your organization) that
> matters, but how you hold onto it. As for me, I have a pretty loose grip.
>
> Pesky Al

As do I, which is why I need continual booster shots...
Ron N