[CAUT] Requirements for contributing - Time to chill?

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Jul 12 06:46:54 MDT 2008

Dear list, Kendall & Karen -

It may be time to step back, before people feel compelled to cancel
their vacations, just to stay tuned to this.  The thread has already
split, under the same subject.
- maligning and defending Pianotech
- the mission of the PTG and its process
- the relationship between PTG & non-PTG world
- Kendall's specific history
- Kendall's contribution
- other

Chris suggested - presumably that's all he can do - that this
discussion is more appropriately had on ptg-l, with which I
agree...except for a few things.  First, in theory, Kendall can't
participate, as a non-ex-member, though Karen, I believe
could.  Perhaps a waiver could be granted.  Second, I'm not sure that
even ptg-l is an appropriate venue, for a few reasons, but, given
that less than a full week ago, Kendall simply asked a question, and
in that time has managed to generate this much turmoil  means either
that, to misquote Chris,  'we know how dangerous he is', or else we
should recognize the potential of his contribution (to the general
discussion) and allow him the 'guest' status he requested.  A place
should be found for the on going consideration of the issues that
have been raised, but if his participation on this list is to be
predicated upon his active membership in PTG, I suspect someone is
going to have to comb through Phil's numbers : CAUT - 377 Pianotech -
876 and begin pressing them to join as well.  Maybe Phil?

I'm not saying Kendall is correct in his position.  I just don't
think it's simple.  If it were, the organization wouldn't still be
wrestling with these issues after this many years.  Meanwhile, he
should be treated the same as anyone else on these lists...subjected
to the same abuse as anyone else, criticized for his writing style
and overuse of emoticons, same as anyone else.

Ed's suggestions, while not particularly glamorous, are probably the
most sensible way to deal with Kendall's specific issue, but I can't
help thinking that for Kendall, or others with similar experiences,
to overcome a history of ill-feelings to become part of the
organization would be akin to, after years of casting aspersion on
the skills (and more) of the average New Jersey driver, me moving
there and having to display NJ plates on my car.  I would be becoming
the very daemon I created.  Personally, I think Kendall would have
the easier challenge.

I'm not sure I'm ready for what comes next.

Fondly -

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY
Flame suit on back-order