[CAUT] Requirements for contributing/posting

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Jul 11 10:10:57 MDT 2008

Now Kendall Ross,
Don't lose your humor now.  You've done so well, up to this point,
ignoring old affronts, perceived or real.  You are in some good
company in your history of conflict with the Organization, but,
clearly, intractableness on either side usually proves detrimental to
both.  There are many if not mostly fine, dedicated individuals
contributing their energies to an organization that continues to
struggle to both define itself and promote the field (in your case,
one of the fields) we have found so rewarding to be engaged
in.  While Chris S needs no help defending himself, (just with the
bug in his computer that sent the same message three times), I'll
suggest that, if not already apparent, he is also a humor-ful
fellow.  The biggest danger of this form of communication, other than
the time it takes some of us, its susceptibility to misconstruing,
and the rapidity with which such misinterpretation can fatally
redirect an otherwise productive interaction.

As is the case with so many of these threads, there is, potentially,
more going on here than most of us have time, patience, or ability
(that's me) to explore.  Here's what I've thought about:

1) While I have yet to read all the posts generated by your initial
list of questions, I found them very thoughtful and would have liked
to see more of them explored.
2) Whether on the lists or in the field, there is, I gather, a push
to promote the PTG.  While I have never been an active proselytizer,
I know how important it is, and, at the same time, how it can be
objectionable to some. To the extent that this was made to seem a
prerequisite, Chris has already apologized
3) There seems to remain some confusion regarding whether this (CAUT)
or Pianotech are, in fact official PTG sites, especially now that
they are hosted by ptg.org.  That 'identity crisis' will not
disappear any time soon.  Some subscribers just assume that they are
conversing with their PTG sibs
4) Ed Sutton's history of 'the lists' was concise, to both its credit
and detriment.  Absent is the history of conflicts that have been
instrumental in establishing the particular list 'cultures'.  At some
point, there was a migration to CAUT from Pianotech, not because of a
sudden increase in institutional technicians, but rather because many
felt that the discourse on Pianotech had intolerably
degenerated.  This has put a burden on CAUT's mission as an 'open'
list focused on institutional issues.  Navigating the obvious overlap
is a constant process that, at times, can be aided by constructive
feedback.  Double posting seems, at times, the most logical way of
reaching both groups of subscribers, however, for the many (? list
administrator, fill in here?) who subscribe to both lists, it creates
redundancy.  The (perhaps) unfortunate fact is that MOST of the
postings on CAUT, over the last two years at least, have been of
general technical interest, not institutionally specific. An
unintended benefit is that such a split reduces the volume on either
one of the lists.

I don't know what the solution is, but nothing said here, or by
anyone else should be seen as discouraging your continued
participation.  Maybe just try to feel out what the customs are, then
consciously decide whether or not you want to observe them. At least
then you'll only be flamed for your intentions.

Regards -

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY