[CAUT] Correction on salary for U of Georgia position

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 5 06:46:50 MDT 2008

Hi all,
I was contacted by a member of the search committee (not Dr. Davis) about
the position and he and I have had several email exchanges, and that is the
genesis for this correction.  I am not interested in the position, so I
basically let him have it about the low salary being discussed on our list.
For what it's worth, here is information you would all be interested in:

The salary range is $32,650 min to $61, 492 max.  The information that was
spoken of earlier has to do with the official salary pay plan for the
postion that is posted on the UGA HR web site.
http://www.hr.uga.edu/recruitment/compensation/payplan_2008_title.pdf  There
is column which reads, "Annual Entry Maximum", which to me implies that you
cannot be hired for more than the amount in that column.  And the figure in
that column for piano technician is $37,547.50.  That is the source of the
"erroneous or false statement"

The faculty member said that we were the source of erroneous information.
When I pointed out to him what the official HR pay plan says, his exact
response to me was this: OUR JOB NOTICE SAYS SALARY COMMENSURATE
W/EXPERIENCE, ETC.  IT DOES NOT SAY "ONLY ENTRY LEVEL CANDIDATES WILL BE
CONSIDERED AND ONLY ENTRY LEVEL SALARY WILL BE OFFERED,"

But my knowledge of the history of that position is that the last time they
hired a piano technician, a tech with 20 years experience was hired at the
entry level figure at the time.  So, you guys make your own judgement about
what the salary will be and how erroneous and false the information is.

Jeff Tanner