[CAUT] University piano replacement program

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Jul 4 07:49:37 MDT 2008

<< My simple question is, if the tone of a "Mid -priced" (not least expensive)
vertical piano is less desirable, but cost affordable, would that be a
reasonable compromise for the non-pianist practice rooms? Given these
instruments seam to have a history of tuning stability, wouldn't this be the
logical place to compromise? >>

Greetings,
   The number one priority I have found in the practise room pianos is
durability. Pianos that require a lot of care are expensive to use.    What I have
found is that usually price and dependability go hand in hand. Over a twenty
year period, the cost savings of buying cheaper pianos is lost to their earlier
demise or higher maintenance costs, not to mention the lesser performance,
musically, of the instruments over their life time.  When someone comes out with
a more dependable, more durable, more sensitive, more stable piano for a
cheaper price,  I will be real interested. So far, it seems the inverse is true.
   The restorable Steinways are the cheapest investment when purchase price
is plotted against years of use and the cost of  service.   They get even
cheaper with each restoration, since one can effectively have a piano that lasts
forever on one purchase price.  Just put a new board and action in every 50
years,  and pretty soon, the original cost is a neglible part of the equation.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos
for fuel-efficient used cars.<BR>