[CAUT] Chinese made Yamaha P22s - update

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Tue Jan 22 15:47:31 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/21/2008 9:46:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
hoffsoco at luther.edu writes:

I found  that there is not enough clearance for the fill
tube between the panel and  the bottom of the keybed. Some carving of the
underside of the keybed will  be necessary to give it room.

Hi, Conrad and Colleagues -

I've encountered the same problem and found it easy to fix by drilling a
3/4" hole in the knee panel near the top edge, using a Forstner bit from  the
finished side of the panel.  Then I used a Japanese (fine-tooth,  pull-type) saw
to make two small cuts from the edge of the panel and tangent to  the left and
right edges of the hole.  This provides a nice, neat U-shaped  passage for
the water tube

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com