[CAUT] Chinese made Yamaha P22s - update

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Jan 21 07:44:21 MST 2008

11/29/07, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote on pianotech:
cross-posting to CAUT
> Folks,
> I just ordered 2 new Yamaha P22s for the school. The folks at the store
> assure me that the quality of the Chinese assembled units is on a par
> with the Georgian ones.
>
> Any comments, yeah or nay?

I got the following responses:

> Last spring our chapter got to examine a Thomaston P22 and a Chinese P22
side-by-sided at the local Yamaha dealer.  Very little difference
between the two, and nothing I would call a "quality" difference.   I
didn't like the Chinese regulation, but they did it consistently to all
88 notes.  It will be interesting to see what 10 years in a midwest
college practice room does to yours....

--
>The few we have received were better than the Georgia models.  No jumpy/snappy pins. A  lot less false in the treble. 2 pianos is hardly a good sample, but first indications are good.
>
> Regards Roger

I now have received them and am in the process of getting them ready for
use (tuning and Dampp-Chaser installation).

I find that they are NOT Dampp-Chaser friendly.

You CANNOT push the dehumidifier rod holding (push)-pins into the side
of the case.  You cannot HAMMER the pins into the case. (Bending or
breaking the pins are the only possible results with those methods.) You
must pre-drill the holes. (I happened to have a #57 bit which seemed to
work OK)

Why?  Because the core of the panels is no longer wood. It is a small
amount of fiber holding a large amount of glue together. (Did Yamaha buy
Kimball methods?)

OK, OK, so they've gone to a heavier piano and I've dealt with it, but
after I'd finished the install (I thought) and went to put the lower
panel back on, I found that there is not enough clearance for the fill
tube between the panel and the bottom of the keybed. Some carving of the
underside of the keybed will be necessary to give it room.

Happy Monday... ;-{

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076