[CAUT] Christopher O'Riley

Craig_Waldrop Craig_Waldrop at baylor.edu
Thu Jan 17 14:41:05 MST 2008

Hello David,

Chris O¹Riley performed here on the Baylor campus last spring.  He seemed to
be a congenial and delightful fellow.  He had no demands concerning the
piano, so I do not have any particular advice for you.  That may have been
due to the fact that we have a great instrument in the hall that he
performed in (Stwy. D ­ Hamburg).  He loved the piano, and to echo Horace's
comment, this piano is fast, light touch and nice n¹ bright with very even
tone.  This is the one piano (of 175) that we have the luxury of reserving
solely for performance of faculty and guest artists.  He is an excellent
player and will test the repetition of your action.

I enjoyed his concert, although he did play a rather bizarre program which
consisted of sixteen pieces alternating works of Dmitri Shostakovich
juxtaposed to his (O¹Riley¹s) transcriptions of the alt-pop group Radiohead.
Shostakovich, ok.  Radiohead, not so much!  Chris is not afraid to
experiment and in many ways, a true pioneer.  I am sure there was a point to
that particular programming, but I didn¹t get it.  Oh well...

Good luck and have fun!
Craig

--
Craig Waldrop, RPT