[CAUT] Capstan predicament

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Wed Jan 16 06:42:57 MST 2008

Hey, Jim,

I think the marshmallow roast is a great idea.  Bring some hot dogs, too.

BUT, if the client won't go for that, the item you want is on page D-30 of
your Pianotek catalog, "Broken Screw Extractor".

Reminds me of an episode I had with a lovely Schubert upright (product of
Belarus) several years ago.  It had dowel capstans on wires, and keys made
of the Russian equivalent of cottonwood.  A moderately hard blow drove the
capstan down into the key.  Spent most of a day removing, drilling,
plugging, redrilling, and reinstalling.  It was a brand new piano, under
"warranty".  After I sent the bill, the dealer wouldn't return my phone
calls and six months later the distributor decided the job was worth $100,
take it or leave it.  Live and learn, right?

Regards,
Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT