[CAUT] Capstan predicament

Nancy Salmon nmsalmon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 05:56:27 MST 2008

Dear Jim;

We had a dealer locally who sold  russian pianos for a while under a dutch
name. As their tuner is not a tech I'm occasionally called in for tech
assistance.

Keys had to be eased and some front rail pins moved. What I discovered was
that the keyframe had the density of cheesecake. Front rail and balance rail
would crush/splinter at the least disturbance. Keys were also soft and
frail, causing the "sticking" and warping in the first place.

I suspect a pandora's box.

Nancy Salmon RPT
Frostburg State University, Maryland