[CAUT] Mason & Hamlin agraffes

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Thu Jan 10 18:19:35 MST 2008

Well, I might be a hero. With my trusty assistant by my side we were
like Batman and Robin about to take on the evil agraffe. (Ok, perhaps
more like Laurel and Hardy :-) Anyway, on with the show.

The M&H in question does not have the steep incline from agraffe to
tuning pin but I still did not feel that was the problem. In any
case, I did not try to change the incline while the strings were off.
It was nice to have the type of scale with the single hitch and one
loop at the hitch pins. Just the one note in question could be
addressed without having to do the neighbor as well. The agraffe came
out easily and as expected it had the unavailable odd threads.

What was worth noting is the small size of the string holes. Much
smaller than Steinway and I could not use my reamer even if I wanted.
I'm not sure that the reamer Alan and Ron suggested would have worked
either. A smaller diameter would be needed. So, it was time for the Q-
tips and some patient buffing. I used Dremel polishing compound first
and finished up with Flitz. It did a fairly good job of cleaning out
the holes and putting a bit of a radius in the holes. There was not
much of a radius to start. Also, the agraffes had been spray painted
along with the plate some years ago when it was reconditioned. There
is the strong possibility that the paint played a role in this IMHO.
There was a good bit of it in the holes.

After cleaning and reaming with the Q-tips we put new strings on and
all sounded pretty good. The customer was satisfied and all we can
hope for is that she will continue to be happy. Time will tell.
Thanks again for all the helpful tips and insights into this matter.

Regards,
Don

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician