[CAUT] job posting

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Thu Jan 10 22:01:31 MST 2008

All,

Below is a job posting I just received. Dr. Tsong consulted with me
for a bit last year about their desire to create the position. I get
the feeling that this could be a good opportunity for the right
person to build a good program. And yes, hopefully the salary too.

Don

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician
Ithaca College
dmckech at ithaca.edu
607.274.3908

Music Department, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

POSITION: Piano Technician

DUTIES: Tuning, maintenance and repair of approximately 90 acoustic
pianos (verticals and grands), including 5 concert grands for
concerts, studio use and student practice. Maintaining an inventory
of keyboards. Routine rebuilding, as needed.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Required: At least three years of experience in piano tuning and
maintenance. Expertise in the repair and maintenance of departmental
pianos. Professional experience in concert-level voicing of New York
and Hamburg Steinway concert grand pianos. Thorough knowledge of
action regulation for both vertical and grand pianos. Registered
Piano Technician Certification through the Piano Technician Guild or
equivalent.

Working knowledge of the tuning/maintenance of other keyboard
instruments and early instruments would be an asset (the Department
has 4 organs, 4 harpsichords, a celesta and a fortepiano).

APPOINTMENT: Full-time, 12-month staff position effective as soon as
possible. Salary: $35,000-$45,000 commensurate with qualifications
and experience. Full benefits are included.

APPLICATION: Send a letter of application, curriculum vitae and at
least three current (within 12 months) letters of recommendation to:

Dr. Mayron Tsong

Chair, Piano Technician's Search

CB #3200 Hill Hall

Chapel Hill, NC

27599

Review of applications will begin Feb 1, 2007 and continue until the
position is filled. UNC-CH is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity
Employer and encourages applications from professionals of color,
women, individuals with disabilities and veterans.