[CAUT] The Piano Horse

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Thu Jan 10 18:03:28 MST 2008

I purchased a "Grand Chariot" from Premier Moving Equipment (www.premiermovingequipment.com) and I really like it.? This is an adjustable skid board with 5" outrigger wheels.? I considered buying? piano horse, but even though that would make tipping a piano on its side easier, it is still necessary to lift at least one end of the board to get a dolly underneath.

The platform of the chariot is about 10 inches above the floor.? That makes lowering and (more importantly) lifting the bass side corner much easier.? That first 10" part of the lift on a typical skid was always the hardest part.? Once you've got the piano on it's side on the chariot, you're already on wheels.? And there is no problem with the device rolling away when you're in the middle of tipping because you can lock the wheels every 90 degrees, so two can be in line with the board and two can be perpendicular to the board.? I used it recently to move a reproducer grand, and the platform height was high enough to protect the player guts.

It is also adjustable from 6'6" to 9',

Full flights of stairs would be a problem, and crossing lawns or loose gravel would be tough, so I still carry an old fashioned skid with an All Terrain Dolly, but for moves within a building, this works great.

Gordon Large, RPT (51 and still move about 100 pianos/year)
Colby College, Waterville, ME