[CAUT] "Cross papering" - was; pictures of new key weighting pattern

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 12:52:07 MST 2008

I did a lot of papering in my mentors shop and I think you are right
Barbara. Width and/or how close to the screw you get the paper makes a
difference. On a S&S flange and rail, the depth the screw penetrates seems
critical. Too little will strip it and bottoming out will do the same. It's
a tapered hole so to speak and gets loose quick as you back the screwup.
On a stack of paper like that, the flange will have less resistance to
rotation making it necessary to tighten the screw more. Then the flange
flexes in the center and could crack in half if old. I attribute that sort
of work to laziness or hurried. Not that I haven't used it too.

Keith Roberts