[CAUT] Mason & Hamlin agraffes

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jan 7 08:12:55 MST 2008

Hi Don,
	I had a similar experience with a M & H A of similar vintage a few
years back. Spent an hour or so doing fruitless things, with no
improvement. I was convinced it was sympathetic vibrations, though,
for some reason that seemed good at the time, probably mostly to do
with "apparent location of sound."
	The customer didn't call me back until maybe three years had passed,
and that time the noises weren't there. Meanwhile, I had "sweated
blood" on a Samick product K&C 6' + grand for several calls looking
for a tenor buzz, and finally determined that one plate screw in the
low tenor wasn't quite snug. I had tightened screws, or at least felt
them for snugness. Maybe I had assumed after the first ten or so were
snug that I didn't need to bother insinuating my body under the lid to
get the last couple that were hard to reach. I don't know. Anyway, I
managed to isolate the noise to one screw. A tiny bit of turning made
it go away. A tiny turn back made the noise come back. I love it when
that happens.
	I assume there was a buzz between the bottom of the plate and the
height adjustment screws. Or maybe they are very hard wood dowels on
the K&C (I'm having a moment of doubt, here, and thinking that maybe
there were two dowels of slightly different heights). M & H has screws
instead of dowels. So I did the same for the M&H as a cautionary
process. THe noise hasn't yet returned (but the customer continues to
be a regular "every couple years" so how do I know).
	FWIW. You may well be on the right track suspecting agraffes. Usually
you can isolate that by placing a screwdriver blade firmly on the
string in front of the agraffe and playing, to see if that eliminates
it for that note. Screwdriver on/off, buzz on/off. Usually <G>. But
sometimes it's very fussy, and only happens on a certain amplitude
blow, and drives you nuts :-(
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico