[CAUT] CA glue app. to bridge pins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 6 22:07:26 MST 2008

> Regarding some of the recent submissions about applying CA glue to the
> bridge pin to eliminate false beats, I was wondering if this treatment
> could be compared to applying CA glue to tuning pins?  It seems that
> from reading some calls and responses that this may be oversimplifying
> the physics of the bridge/pin,

The physics of the bridge/pin is typically vastly
overcomplicated, in my opinion.

>but is an origin of false beats loose
> bridge pins?

It's very likely, observable by touching a screwdriver to the
bridge pin and hearing the beat disappear.

>Also,  are bridge pin holes drilled to a specific depth to
> accept the whole length of the pin or are they drilled like tuning pin
> holes, allowing space at the bottom.?

I've found no detectable tonal benefit to having pins bottomed
in the hole, and since bridges change in height with humidity
swings, it's not likely possible that the pin will stay
bottomed out in any case.

>I've been very, very curious to
> understand the origin of false beats and how to deal with them certainly.
> Thanks in advance for any input,
> Joe Wiencek, RPT

This has been discussed and described repeatedly in detail on
Pianotech for years. It's in the archives.
Ron N