[CAUT] Mason & Hamlin agraffes

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Sun Jan 6 20:41:54 MST 2008

Happy New Year List!

A relatively new private customer of mine has a M&H A from the 1920's
and it exhibits some unpleasant buzzing sounds in the tenor section.
Some notes are worse than others. I have tried several times to
lessen the problem but it is never to the complete satisfaction of
the owner. (BTW, I'm the second technician she has employed to deal
with this piano. The first gladly turned this over to me :-) Things I
have tried included various hammer voicing techniques that deal with
buzzing strings (I would like to see this particular set of hammers
replaced but I do not think they are the problem), manipulating the
strings in the front and back of the agraffe and installing string
couplers on the strings at the front side of the agraffe. The only
thing that has lessened the buzzing is the couplers but the problem
tends to come back some time after installation. I've tried adding
more couples and placing them in different positions but this is
never enough for the customer at some point after my visit.

 From my experience with Steinways that have similar problems, this
buzzing will be solved with replacing the agraffes. Yes, I understand
one can recondition agraffes to be like new in some cases but I
mostly prefer to replace with new. I believe the agraffes on this M&H
need to be replaced to solve this problem. I have a S&S B in the shop
now that exhibits pretty much the same problem. Michelle and I
replaced one of the worst agraffes and restrung with new wire.
Problem solved. I plan to show this piano to my customer.

I have never replaced agraffes on a M&H. So, any help from
experienced M&H folks is greatly appreciated. I have heard from some
local technicians that this can be very problematic. Is it true that
these agraffes may have odd sized threaded stems and are not
available? Will I experience any problems trying to unscrew them?
Given that they do not look too bad, can I expect these to
recondition like new? I have some reamers that Chris Robinson was
recommending some years back. These look like good tools to do the
reconditioning job. Any other reamers you recommend? I have not
looked for the Journal that dealt with all things agraffe but plan to
do so tomorrow. Anyone know off hand what month and year that was?

Thanks much for any comments and suggestions.

Don

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician
Ithaca College