[CAUT] moving capstans question

Ted Sambell edward.sambell at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 21 19:10:51 MDT 2007

Whenever there are more than three leads in the front of the keys, a red flag should go up. And do not neglect to check the centerpin to knuckle distance; if it is 15mm it could benifit by replacing with new shanks with a distance of 17mm. An excellent resource is the Renner parts kit, which enables one to try different combinations of repetitions and hammershanks. The kit is free  with the purchase of a set of replacement parts. Also, look up the Pianotek catalog, which carries a wide range of parts in actual size, and with  the dimnesions marked.
Moving the capstans is a big decision, as not only the weght is changed, but the ratio of keydip to hammer blow distance. If nothing else works, consider the Renner repetitions (wippens) with the 'Turbo ' springs.

Ted Sambell