[CAUT] moving capstans question

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Sep 21 11:39:54 MDT 2007

What size leads... ?  And what does this add up to in terms of FW.  I've
seen 6 leads used in low bass keys where the FW wasnt more then 35
grams.... Most often I see about 43-44 with 6..  This is a 70's
instrument you say... are you certain of its history ?  No chance anyone
but Steinway folks have worked on it since then ?

More details :)

Cheers
RicB

    I forgot to mention that there are 6 leads in the lowest bass keys
    and 5
    through the middle and 3-4   three forths of the rest of the way!
    Steinways attempt at compensating I suppose...  What I don't
    understand is
    why did they mess with a good thing?