[CAUT] moving capstans question

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Sep 21 10:33:07 MDT 2007

David,

I forgot to mention that there are 6 leads in the lowest bass keys and 5
through the middle and 3-4   three forths of the rest of the way!
Steinways attempt at compensating I suppose...  What I don't understand is
why did they mess with a good thing?

"Porritt, David" <dporritt at mail.smu.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
09/21/2007 10:03 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"College and University Technicians" <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] moving capstans question

Paul:

I’m certainly not an action guru but last year I did move a capstan line 6
- 7 mm forward on a Baldwin SF-10.  It made a very nice difference.  The
DW had been in the high 60s and it came down to the low 50s and felt much
better.  Fortunately with that move the capstan was still in a good area
of the wippen heel so I didn’t have to cut the heels off and move them.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu