[CAUT] moving capstans question

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Sep 21 14:14:43 MDT 2007

A Steinway with whippens that have the rep spring screw adjustment
??.... This is not a stock Steinway... grin.. I wonder if someone put in
Schimmel whippens.  If you have the possibility... here is a really
simple check to make... just take the hammer and whippen off  C88 and
compare them both to the same from an instrument you know to have
original parts. They can live without C88 for a few hours I assume :)

While you are looking at the leads.... look to see that all appear to
have been installed by the same person. Usually its easy to spot when
keys have been re-leaded at some point.

Cheers
RicB

    Other things I didn't check at last glance was size of the leads, wear
    (cupping) on the cuhions, or knuckle to flange center measurements.  My
    bad!  To get a better idea of the age of the parts, when did Renner
    start
    using rep spring screw?  Or did they always have it?  They look so
    new I
    have to wonder if they had been replaced at one time. The more precise
    year for the piano is 1979...

    I'll report to all on Monday!

    Enjoy.

    PW