[CAUT] moving capstans question

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 21:25:14 MDT 2007

If you had one of Dale Erwins Action Ratio Kits you could measure the action
ratio without having to worry about friction as a component. Basically it
depresses a key 6mm for you and there is a mm measuring tool to measure the
hammer rise. Then you read the ratio from the side of the tool. I just
replaced the hammers on a 6'2 Grotrian and it had 5 leads in the bass just
like the situation you describe. Grotrian moves the stack to find strike
point and that put the capstans on the the back of the wippen heel, beyond
the red underfelt in the center of the heel. The action ratio measured 1 to
6.3. I determined that moving the capstan to the front of the heel changed
the action ratio to 1 to 4.8. When I put it slightly forward of center, the
ratio was 1 to 5.5. I now have three leads max in the bass. The keys
themselves have a lot of mass so now this piano plays like dream.

On the S&S, Moving the knuckle is the usual case but Steinway does move the
stack on the key frame to find the strike point. Tokiwa is making really
nice parts and has 17 mm knuckle placement shanks and whips that match. In
Dale's shop I just did a Renner back action for a B and then a Tokiwa back
action for somethindg. They were done almost side by side and I had less
traveling and alignment to do with the Tokiwa parts. I was much happier with
the wippens too.

Keith Roberts