[CAUT] My take on them, (was The "new" S&S Hammers).

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Sep 20 10:06:32 MDT 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 5:30 PM, David M. Porritt wrote:

> Jeff:
>

> Any manufacturer has their reputation on the line with the products
> they produce.  If they want to keep them exactly as they built
> them, they should just lease them rather than sell them.  When I
> encounter a customer’s piano, I assume they bought it and they will
> be the one to tell me how they want it voiced, regulated, etc.  How
> the manufacturer wants it doesn’t enter my mind.  They no longer
> own it.  Mrs. Customer does.
>

> dp

Dave,
With all due respect, I think you may misunderstand what Mrs.
Customer believes she owns.  If it says Steinway on the fallboard,
she expects it to be as authentically Steinway as possible - that it
is not just a replica, but a clone of the instruments the artists
play.  She also expects her technician to speak and understand
Steinway.  Once it has lost any of that authenticity, she accepts
that it is no longer what it once was.  Whether or not we want to
admit it, if it is no longer authentic, it loses value in her mind.
If a potential buyer were to learn that it is not authentic, it loses
value in his mind as well.  There is indeed more at issue here than
our own artistry and pride.

Yes, there is a large variance in what is possible with touch weight,
response and tone.  But changing the hammers changes the complete
character.  It will never be capable of that sound that is
authentically Steinway (or Yamaha or whoever).  That is what it loses.

And I completely disagree with the assertion that the manufacturer no
longer owns it.  They own every patent, every design and every
process which has earned the reputation sought by buyers of the name
on the fallboard.  That name on the fallboard is definitely their
property.  It is the identity on which their future business is
built.  If we profit by changing any part of the product wearing that
name, well, some industries would consider that fraudulent.  Were you
the purchaser of a prescription drug or a food that someone had
altered after it was stamped ready for market you would quickly
disagree with your philosophy.  If it is discovered that drugs are
tampered with after they leave the manufacturer, it is that
manufacturer that suffers the losses incurred, even if the
perpetrator is caught and put in jail.  Let's say we own a small
business which makes paint, but can't afford our own cans and labels
to store it in, and so we collect empty paint cans with other
manufacturer's names on the can - maybe we make interior paint and
put it in an old Sherwin Williams exterior paint can and sell it as
Sherwin Williams exterior paint.  We are misrepresenting the product
in the can and taking advantage of the established name to profit.

The customer thinks he is buying Sherwin Williams exterior paint.

It is the same.

On Sep 19, 2007, at 8:23 PM, David Love wrote:
> Neither, btw, should you be concerned about manufacturer identity.
> No matter what you do, you will not turn a Yamaha into a Steinway
> or a Steinway into a Yamaha.

I'm sorry.  I completely disagree.  My experience is that Mrs.
customer was quite concerned about manufacturer identity when she
bought her piano.  One may not be able to turn a Yamaha into a
Steinway or vice versa, but one can definitely turn it into something
that is no longer represented by the name on the fallboard.  It
becomes a rebuilt, generic instrument with a false identity.
Something like me claiming to a business degree from Yale, when it is
actually from the University of Georgia.  While UGA patterned itself
very much after Yale, Yale it is not.

I'm just not comfortable wearing that hat.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina