[CAUT] My take on them, (was The "new" S&S Hammers).

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Sep 20 11:12:26 MDT 2007

I'm afraid I have to disagree and so would all of my customers.  With total
disclosure I routinely change parts to Renner, put on hammers that don't
require lacquer, alter bass scaling and string suppliers, install Renner
back actions, have keysets made by non-Steinway companies, etc., etc., as do
many reputable technicians.  I go to great lengths to explain my reasons and
if someone really wants original Steinway parts I'll do that too.  I suppose
if you change the soundboard design and put Steinway's decal on it you might
have a problem.  But if changing parts represented a legal breach you can be
sure that the Steinway legal department would be on top of it.  The fact is
Steinway has changed parts configurations and manufacturing many times over
the years.  For a brief time they put Renner parts on their pianos.  The
hammers that they use now do not resemble the original hammers that were put
on Steinways from some years ago.  Replacing hammers on a 1920's piano with
new Steinway hammers changes the character of that sound, maybe more than
using a non-Steinway hammer that more closely resembles the original.

Many would argue that better quality parts (Renner, in my opinion) would add
value.  Certainly there is no drop off in either value or performance.  In
fact, you often see Steinways for sale advertised as having a Renner action.
Just an interesting sidebar, I recently rebuilt an action on a B for a small
performance venue.  The hammers I removed (at their insistence) were
Steinway with plenty-o-lacquer.  The parts I used were Renner.  The hammers
were Ronsen Wurzen.  The action geometry was reconfigured and rebalanced
using Stanwood methodology.  When I came to meet with the piano committee to
discuss the work after they had had time to sample the piano I was modestly
embarrassed to receive a standing ovation.  The compliments I received both
publicly and privately were effusive.  Up until then they were actually
considering getting rid of the piano.  These are a group of knowledgeable
pianists.  I don't think one felt that the piano was lesser for what I had
done.  And, btw, I advised them of exactly what I would do, I sampled
hammers for them beforehand so they could hear what it would sound like-in
fact, though I made recommendations, they were unanimous in their agreement
about what they wanted to hear and the hammer that was producing that sound.
So I couldn't disagree more strongly with your concerns.  My experience
simply hasn't been what you suggest, in fact, quite the opposite.

Just to allay any concerns that I might be trying to create Yamaways or
Steinahas, I'm not.  I appreciate what Yamaha does and what they do they do
very well and with a great deal of consistency-I think much greater
consistency that Steinway.  But if somebody wants a Yamaha voiced down or if
they want to hear it with a different set of hammers I won't hesitate.  The
piano belongs to them now, not to Yamaha.  Likewise, if someone hires me to
get the optimum performance out of their Steinway, I will do what I think is
necessary to achieve that goal for them and with their knowledge.  That,
afterall, is what they are paying me for.  If anything, (if this isn't
oxymoronic) I will err on the side of what I consider to be superior
performance.  I'm not taking shortcuts to pad my wallet and I don't feel
there is anything to hide.   I know for a fact from many, if not most
rebuilders, that my approach is not new or unusual, fraudulent, devaluing,
inauthentic or inferior.  My goal is to do the best possible work period and
I use my experience and professional judgment to achieve that.  People who
call me know that and I have to say, business is good!

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com