[CAUT] A clarification and a response to David Poritt

David M. Porritt dporritt at smu.edu
Wed Sep 19 15:27:11 MDT 2007

Ric:

Thanks for the link.  I remember well that post. It was an expression of
frustration at not being able to understand people's question.  It had
nothing to do with the piano, the sound, the action.  It had to do with the
concept of an improved piano.  What does "is it a Steinway" mean???

As an illustration, I was talking to one of our accompanists who was going
to have to use a certain piano I was aware of but didn't service.  I told
her that this was absolutely the worst piano I have ever seen in current
use.  (I've seen worse that are not being used but this is the worst I've
seen in daily use).  After she had suffered through it she admitted it was
bad then said "but it's a Steinway!"  I did not then, I do not now, and I
don't think I will ever understand that statement.

The car won't run "but it's a Rolls Royce!"  What does that mean?  I guess
it means it was once a nice car but don't try to get to the airport in it.

At this point, I'm going to bow out of this conversation (if that's what it
is.)  I admit I have a low frustration tolerance.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu