[CAUT] Tone "contrast"; Was - The "new" S&S Hammers.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Sep 18 02:43:01 MDT 2007

This too is an excellent commentary to my mind Jim. It is without a
doubt true that preferences for what piano sound should be vary
widely... wildly perhaps. Which in turn is a very strong motivator for
having full control over the entire process of hanging, regulating, and
voicing a new set of hammers.  If you know everything that has been
done, then making adjustments to deal with individual pianist needs as
they arise...even accounting for such adjustment as part of the
installation process is more easily accomplished. You know whats been
done before, and how to counter or enhance as the needs arise.

I also had the experience of hearing some rebuilt pianos at an earlier
convention. And tho impressed by some of the fine workmanship and the
willingness to forward alternative sound pictures, found that all in all
most of the pianos did not meet with my own personal tastes. Some were
beautiful... but as you say tame and without much contrast in sound at
different levels.

There seems to be a growing desire amoungst several rebuilders in the
states to opt for a very moody and softish sound base. The idea that a
super ppp level should be needed goes to the expense of any real
brilliance, seemingly because these same equate that kind of brilliance
with noise.  It matters not that the vast majority of pianists seem to
on the other hand opt for that kind of brilliant sound base.  On the one
hand, I applaud the willingness to explore different colour pallets, yet
on the other hand I am skeptical to the apparent insistance of some to
declare their own ideas as superior others, writing off clear market
preferences as meaningless in a variety of ways.

I liked especially your closing sentence Jim.  A piano should be able to
get mean.  A piano is for the audience listening as well as the pianist
playing.  Only a few instruments need to be tamed a bit for use in the
audio microscope a sound recording studio is.  The tendancy to voice
overly pretty was described by both the Japanese and Hamburg academy
voicing instructors as a typical misconception that beginning voicers
fall into.  I'm not sure I'd go that far.... but the willingness to push
the upper limits of piano power should IMHO be the base line.

Cheers
RicB

    Alan,

    I put a set on a D last month and I still had to add juice. Not being as
    experienced with these hammers as some of you, I got Vince to give a
    listen and he had me put in even more juice!

    There seems to be quite a range of what people think constitutes good
    tone in a hammer. I rely on Vince's experience (both Eric S., Scott
    Jones and others think very highly of his voicing) and the difference
    seems to be that the Steinway folks (and Vince) want "contrast" in tone
    color, not just a "pretty sound" that can get louder and softer yet
    still has the same basic timbre.

    The sound I heard at a previous convention (from rebuilt S&S pianos) had
    no contrast! On the other hand Vince's pianos can get the most sublime
    pp and an almost, but not really, harsh/nasty ff. It has a true color
    contrast that concert pianist who have played here have raved about. At
    the PNWC Scott Jones couldn't say enough good things about the old M
    that Vince voiced for me. Later, Eric Schandall came by and glowed about
    it. BTW, it was a 1967 M right next to a brand new M voiced "pretty". No
    contest! A piano should be able to get mean if the music requires it. I
    don't know how else to express it in words...

    JMHO - FWIW.

    Jim Busby BYU