[CAUT] Tone "contrast"; Was - The "new" S&S Hammers.

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Sep 17 16:48:12 MDT 2007

Alan,

I put a set on a D last month and I still had to add juice. Not being as
experienced with these hammers as some of you, I got Vince to give a
listen and he had me put in even more juice!

There seems to be quite a range of what people think constitutes good
tone in a hammer. I rely on Vince's experience (both Eric S., Scott
Jones and others think very highly of his voicing) and the difference
seems to be that the Steinway folks (and Vince) want "contrast" in tone
color, not just a "pretty sound" that can get louder and softer yet
still has the same basic timbre.

The sound I heard at a previous convention (from rebuilt S&S pianos) had
no contrast! On the other hand Vince's pianos can get the most sublime
pp and an almost, but not really, harsh/nasty ff. It has a true color
contrast that concert pianist who have played here have raved about. At
the PNWC Scott Jones couldn't say enough good things about the old M
that Vince voiced for me. Later, Eric Schandall came by and glowed about
it. BTW, it was a 1967 M right next to a brand new M voiced "pretty". No
contest! A piano should be able to get mean if the music requires it. I
don't know how else to express it in words...

JMHO - FWIW.

Jim Busby BYU