[CAUT] The "new" S&S Hammers.

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Sep 18 02:25:14 MDT 2007

I find bothe the responses below to be excellent testimonies of techs
that go beyond the standard levels of practices, deciding to become
artisans in their own right. There are actually very many good reasons
for rejecting ready made to install hammers from manufacturers
themselves or from suppliers.  About the only development I have seen
from suppliers that I find desirable in this regard is the move towards
supplying smoothed hammer strike weights.  This actually is a time saver
that I appreciate.  Pre-bored hammers, pre shaped hammers, pre-voiced,
pre-hung etc hammers on the other hand simply do not allow more then a
at best reasonably good result, and often enough cause more work to get
even that result then I would ever have by doing the work on my own.

Aside from all this... it is indeed a joy to do all the handcrafting
oneself.  It is not nearly as time costly as many would have it once one
has practiced a bit and built up good solid routines for working time
effectively. The degree of freedom a this allows is far more then worth
what ever extra time it ends up costing.

jmtb

RicB

         >My take on this is that I want as much control over the
        hammers as I can
         >have... Leave them long so I can get the tail length I need.
        Don't
         >want my tails arced or the cove cut either. All I need is a
        hammer
         >that has a fairly solid core to build tone with. I'll do all the
         >rest.

    I order Ronsen Wurzen with a molding about 1/8" longer than the
    longest hammer will
    be and trim all the tails to length after they're hung.  With a
    'standard bore' set some string heights leave you with a tail length
    less than 1". This way I'm insured a tail of 1 1/16"
    consistently.

    So when I order a set, I specify, unbored, extra long molding and
    uncoved. The cove
    only removes about .3g and is not worth the effort. I've had some
    sets where the cove
    was so deep or low, I couldn't arc the tail the way I wanted to.

    Regulation goes so much easier with a custom set.
    --

    Regards,

    Jon Page