[CAUT] The "new" S&S Hammers.

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Sep 17 16:43:37 MDT 2007

>My take on this is that I want as much control over the hammers as I can
>have... Leave them long so I can get the tail length I need. Don't
>want my tails arced or the cove cut either. All I need is a hammer
>that has a fairly solid core to build tone with. I'll do all the
>rest.

I order Ronsen Wurzen with a molding about 1/8" longer than the
longest hammer will
be and trim all the tails to length after they're hung.  With a
'standard bore' set some string heights leave you with a tail length
less than 1". This way I'm insured a tail of 1 1/16"
consistently.

So when I order a set, I specify, unbored, extra long molding and
uncoved. The cove
only removes about .3g and is not worth the effort. I've had some
sets where the cove
was so deep or low, I couldn't arc the tail the way I wanted to.

Regulation goes so much easier with a custom set.
--

Regards,

Jon Page