[CAUT] My take on them, (was The "new" S&S Hammers).

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Sep 14 08:14:59 MDT 2007

I would concur with that.  While the Wurzen felt hammers are firm, they
maintain a high level of resilience which I don't find in heat pressed
hammers.  That resilience (which I define as the ability for the hammer to
regain its original form after it is compressed) is important for how the
tone develops over time.  Less resilient hammers, made so by the excessive
use of heat in the pressing process, lose that resilience and while the tone
may start off ok, it doesn't do as well over time.

The Bacon felt hammers are softer and should be chosen where a softer hammer
is more appropriate.  If you have to add a lot of lacquer to them then I
think you should have chosen a firmer hammer to begin with.  Lacquer, in my
view, also destroys resilience by virtue of the binding together of the felt
fibers and because it continues to harden over time.  Resilience, again in
my view, is essential for power without distortion and for maximum sustain.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com