[CAUT] My take on them, (was The "new" S&S Hammers).

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Sep 15 10:52:47 MDT 2007

I concur in general with the below.   f

One slight qualification tho,..  the statement about lacquer continuing
to harden over time in this context is I think dependent on the type of
lacquer used..  At least as concerns the combined lacquer/hammerfelt
substance.  Shellack for example will break down over time and the
hammer hardened thus will loose some of its hardness over time.
Cellulose is rather soft stuff in general to begin with... tho it may
harden somewhat after initial curing over time... I am doubtful that
this is an issue in hammer voicing.  Cellulose has been the hammer
lacquer of my choice when I first have to resort to it because of this.
Tho it does adhere to felt fibres and restricts their natural
resiliency.... it perhaps yeilds a bit more then most other type of
hammer hardner in use.

Still... all in all.. I'd like to avoid lacquer all together.  I just
prefer the sound of non-lacquered hammers.... and I very much prefer
working with them.  Again tho.. to each their own as the saying goes.

Cheers

RicB

    ..... If you have to add a lot of lacquer to them then I
    think you should have chosen a firmer hammer to begin with.
    Lacquer, in my
    view, also destroys resilience by virtue of the binding together of
    the felt
    fibers and because it continues to harden over time.  Resilience,
    again in
    my view, is essential for power without distortion and for maximum
    sustain.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net
    www.davidlovepianos.com