[CAUT] My take on them, (was The "new" S&S Hammers).

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Fri Sep 14 08:03:19 MDT 2007

Ed:

I haven't seen a Ronsen Bacon felt hammer for a long time but that's
what I understand also that the Bacon felt is softer.  My experience
with the Wurzen AA felt ones has been very good.  The denser felting
doesn't pack like softer hammers, yet if they get bright needles
penetrate quite easily.  I don't have an electron microscope so my
observations are very unscientific but the Wurzen felt seems just more
dense from the felting process rather than the hammer pressing process.
>From what I heard of the testing on a new Walter grand, the Bacon felt
was better on the very live sounding board assembly.  On most sounding
boards that we see the Bacon felt needs some hardener.

Try a set of the Wurzen AAs I think you'll really like them.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT

dporritt at smu.edu