[CAUT] Pitch recognition

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Sep 1 07:29:10 MDT 2007

Just had my first real personal experience with this pitch recognition.
It was really quite a strange sensation I can tell you.  I had just
finished a run of  6 quickly tuned cheap uprights at one of the
universities I work for and was ready to start number 7.  I sat down as
usual and played an F-major extended chord to get a quick jist of how
far out of tune this was whamo !.... I  <<knew>> right away the
instrument was slightly flat !    Kind of excited,  I pulled out my
handy dandy tunelab to proceed and sure enough the pitch was 1.25 cents
lower then the standard used at the school.  The previous 6 had been
tuned to 442, and this one sat fairly even at 440.75.

I was quite surprised at the experience... there was no doubt whatsoever
in my mind ahead of looking at the tunelab display.  But such a small
difference really for one who has had no previous personal experience
with pitch memory, I found interesting.  Clearly tho... this was a
learned thing.  My ear had, for the moment at any rate, become
accustomed to the 442 frequency so well that when suddenly exposed to an
fairly evenly tuned 440.75 it reacted.

Way cool really.

Cheers
RicB